Things to do in Ruissalo
There’s plenty to experience in Ruissalo throughout the year. Hikers enjoy the nature trails, boaters love the closeness to the sea, and golfers are thrilled by the fantastic course. Indulgers delight in the spa and pampering treatments, not to mention the gastronomic pleasures. Explore the activities in Ruissalo and be charmed!
The location of Ruissalo Spa is unique – situated in the middle of a public park and a nature reserve, and even on an island, amidst the beautiful sea landscapes of Airisto.
Did you know that throughout different reigns, the island of Ruissalo has served as both a cultivation area and a hunting park? The recreational use of the island is said to have begun around the 16th century when Duke John resided in Turku Castle. Today, the areas surrounding Ruissalo Spa are encircled by excellent outdoor trails and both botanically and culturally historically valuable natural areas. Ruissalo is a unique recreational spot and a public park for everyone, right next to the bustling city.
Explore the excursion destinations in Ruissalo:
Enjoy the amazing nature
The nature trails in Ruissalo meander through grazing lands, old fields, wild meadows, oak forests, and sandy beaches. The island also features the Tammenterho information center with its nature school, as well as a botanical garden with large outdoor areas and greenhouses. Romantics are particularly charmed by the beautiful gardens and 19th-century lace villas that adorn the shores of Ruissalo. Sun worshippers naturally enjoy the beautiful sandy beaches, and there’s even a separate swimming area and fenced dog park for dogs in Ruissalo. Golfers enjoy the unique green of Aura Golf.
- Children’s Playroom – books, games, toys, drawing tools (open all year round)
- Movies – watch children’s movies in the playroom
- Mini Golf – at the camping area, about 500 meters away from the spa (open in the summer)
- Playground – sandbox and swings
- Saaronniemi beach and play area – about a kilometer away from the spa
- Yard games – the spa environment offers great opportunities for outdoor games
- Frisbee golf course around the spa
- Sledding – sleds and toboggans can be borrowed from the spa during the winter season. A good sledding hill can be found about 500 m away from Saaronniemi camping area
The spa organizes quizzes, dances, and concerts among other things. You can find the current offerings in our entertainment calendar.
Excursion to Turku City Center
Turku is an absolute holiday and cultural city!
Along the Aura River, you can see life lived from the Middle Ages to the present. You can rise from the ruins of ancient Turku into the hustle and bustle of the streets or sail on a steamboat towards the famous archipelago. In Turku, you will experience, see, live, and feel more than ever!
The city center of Turku is conveniently accessible from Ruissalo, for example by bus, in the summer by water bus, or even by cycling.
You can get more information about Turku’s events, attractions, and services from Turku’s tourist information »
You can also conveniently check out what’s happening in the Turku area from the city’s event calendar »
There are plenty of opportunities for physical activity in the vicinity of the spa.
- Frisbee golf – An 8-lane course in the spa area
- Tennis – the spa’s own tennis court
- Beach volley – a volleyball court in the spa’s yard
- Street basketball – next to the tennis court
- Rowboats and kayaks
- Boating and sailing – the spa’s guest harbour, Ruissalo Marina
- Golf – Aura Golf, an 18-hole golf course about a kilometer away from the spa
- Mini golf – at Saaronniemi camping area, about 500 meters from the spa
- Nordic Walking – poles can be borrowed from the spa
- Bicycles – Onni bike rental
- Nature trails, jogging and cycling routes – In Ruissalo there is a 20 km long nature trail and a bicycle path from one end of the island to the other, map available at the reception
- Yard games – from the spa, you can borrow, for example, petanque balls, bocce balls, a mölkky game as well as equipment for street hockey and other ball games
- Outdoor table tennis
- Snowshoes – snowshoeing trails start from the spa yard
- Fishing – the beaches of Ruissalo offer a great opportunity to relax while fishing; you can borrow a fishing rod from the spa
- Winter swimming at the spa’s own beach
In addition to the pool area, the spa also has a gym and a changing schedule of exercise classes. Explore the spa’s exercise services »